top of page

 THIS WEEK IN INDIANAPOLIS 

1925

news stories & adverts from one hundred years ago

Compiled by Steve Barnett
Ads & Illustrations clipped by Carl Bates

From The Indianapolis Times, Monday, October 5, 1925:  D. C. Stephenson, Earl Gentry, and Earl Klinck, whose trial for the alleged murder of Madge Oberholtzer is to begin next Monday at Noblesville, have been indicted together with Fred Butler by a Marion County grand jury for arson in conspiring to burn Stephenson’s Irvington home, 5432 University Av, last April 17.  Allegedly the conspirators “willfully and maliciously set fire” to Stephenson’s house valued at $20,000 (2024:  $365,314), insured by the Great American Insurance Co, resulting in damage of $3,500 (2024:  $63,930).  A neighbor, Helene Hibben, heard a loud explosion at 1 a.m. and called the fire department.  A six-gallon can of gasoline exploded in the dining room, shooting flames throughout the main floor; several other gasoline containers were found scattered around the house and gas jets on the stove turned on



ree

 


“Stephenson and Aids Indicted in Arson Plot,” The Indianapolis Times, 5 October 1925, p. 1:7

From The Indianapolis Star, Sunday, September 27, 1925:  The first Indianapolis radio exposition signed off last night after a successful week.  More than 45,000 visitors ambled about the exhibit booths at Cadle Tabernacle since the doors opened Monday evening.  Herbert Luckey, president of the Broadcast Listeners Association, said exhibitors transacted over $100,000 (2024:  $1,826,571) in radio business during the show.  While Jerry Peter, a representative of the Radio Corporation of America (RCA), said, “It was one of the most successful radio shows we have ever seen,” a radio fan declared this first exposition was “staticless” and harmonious” from start to finish.  Management, exhibitors, and entertainers expressed satisfaction, and plans are underway for next year’s which will be known as the Mississippi Valley radio exposition which will be enlarged with many more national concerns engaged in radio manufacturing expected to attend.


Advertisement:

ree

“Radio Exposition Ends; Pronounced Complete Success,” The Indianapolis Star, 27 September 1925, p. 1:5

From The Indianapolis News, Thursday, August 27, 1925:  The official count in the Better Babies Contest has found 1,120 babies eligible for participation in the event to name the best baby boy and the best baby girl in Indiana.  This year’s number of eligible entrants is more than 200 babies over last year’s which shows a growing interest among Indiana parents in the better babies’ competition.  Dr. Ada Schweitzer, director, state board of health division of child hygiene, is conducting the contest in conjunction with the state board of agriculture and The Indianapolis News.  Letters are being sent to the babies’ mothers informing them on what day and hour they may bring their babies to the state fairground Better Babies Building for examination.  Twelve sets of twins have entered the contest, but the space reserved for triplets is conspicuously empty.


“1,120 Infants Found Eligible for Better Babies Contest,” The Indianapolis News, 27 August 1925, p. 19:4

Search By Tags

    © 2017 by Marion County Historical Society. Proudly created with Wix.com

    bottom of page