top of page

 THIS WEEK IN INDIANAPOLIS 

1925

news stories & adverts from one hundred years ago

Compiled by Steve Barnett
Ads & Illustrations clipped by Carl Bates

From The Indianapolis Star, Thursday, July 31, 1924:  The Federated Patriotic Societies gave their annual picnic today in Brookside  Park for the Grand Army of the Republic.  Eighty-six Civil War veterans were guests of honor for a day devoted to reminiscences.  Three comrades of the same regiment munched ice creams cones and recalled the battles of Chickamauga and Shiloh in which their regiment participated. All species of tempting culinary successes were spread about a long table under the trees and gallons of coffee and lemonade were consumed by the thirsty guests.  Following the noon meal, a program of talks and music was given, including a renewal of the pledge to the flag.  Rev. Frank Huston, chief chaplain, Sons of Veterans, led the community singing of old-fashioned patriotic songs and Francis M. VanPelt, Indiana G.A.R. department commander, made a short address.



Advertisement:

ree


“Wearers of Blue United at Picnic,” The Indianapolis Star, 31 July 1924, p. 20:4

From The Indianapolis Star, Sunday, July 20, 1924:  Amzi C. Zaring, proprietor of the North Star Theater and the Garrick Theater, announced plans for the construction of one of largest neighborhood motion picture houses in the city.  The new theater, to be built on the northeast corner of Central Av and Fall Creek Blvd, will be two stories high, of hollow tile construction, and Grecian style architecture.  The theater lobby, placed between two business rooms, will face Central Av.  The theater proper, with a seating capacity of 1,400 patrons, will be behind the business rooms.  A thirty-two-foot stage, larger than an ordinary motion picture house stage, will be a feature of the theater.  Architect Frank B. Hunter is preparing the plans for the new Central Av house.  Zaring has been in the motion picture business in Indianapolis for fifteen years.



Advertisement:


ree


“New Movie House for North Side,” The Indianapolis Star, 20 July 1924, p. 1:2

From The Indianapolis News, Thursday, July 17, 1924:  The annual French fete sponsored by the Irvington American Legion Post to raise money to care for wounded or permanently disabled American servicemen opened last evening at Jameson [Ellenberger] Park.  The four-day event given during the week of France’s Bastille Day holiday features booths festooned with American and French flags hung together where hot dogs, barbecue sandwiches, frosted cakes, and candies can be brought.  On the slick boards of the dance floor a “scooter” race among the youngsters proceeded the first dance.  About 1,000 people attended the first evening’s festivities.  Among the speakers, Hilton U. Brown, who lost a son in France, stressed the need of keeping faith with men who served their flag in wartime and to whom a national debt of care and consideration is due in times of peace.



Advertisement:

ree

“1,000 Attend Opening of Annual Irvington Legion French Fete,” The Indianapolis News, 17 July 1924, p. 18:7

Search By Tags

    © 2017 by Marion County Historical Society. Proudly created with Wix.com

    bottom of page