top of page

New Athletic Club Opened; Monument to Vision and Work

From The Indianapolis Star, Sunday, January 20, 1924:  The official opening of the new Indianapolis Athletic Club was celebrated last night when more than 1,000 men attended the membership banquet in the club’s magnificent main dining room.  Hundreds of members inspected the building before the evening festivities and proclaimed it surpassed the most ardent expectations, and it was one of the finest athletic clubs in the country.  Governor Warren McCray congratulated the members declaring, “The opening of this club marks a new epoch in the social and commercial life of our great city.  It will be the center of business conferences, the scene of happy family gatherings, and the center of brilliant social events.”  Architect Robert Frost Daggett stated the building was a true product of Indiana with all material in the structure being designed or produced in the state.   

  



  “New Athletic Club Opened; Monument to Vision and Work,” The Indianapolis Star, 20 January 1924, p. 1:6

Comentarios


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page