top of page

Butler Welcomed by Mapleton Civic Body

From The Indianapolis News, Saturday, June 28, 1924: Butler College received a hearty welcome to its new Fairview Park site this afternoon with hundreds of colorful banners, a procession of seven floats from north side churches and businesses, 100 automobiles carrying approximately 500 members of the Indianapolis Federation of Civic Clubs, twenty cars carrying city employees, and the Indianapolis Police and Firemen’s Band.  Organized by the Mapleton Civic Association, the welcome-to-Butler parade started at City Hall with Mayor Lew Shank in his car, accompanied by Hilton U. Brown, chair of the Butler board of trustees, leading the motorcade escorted by the mounted police.  The parade moved through the downtown streets, north on Meridian St to 46th St, and then due west to Fairview Park where speeches were delivered.  An evening pageant, The Value of an Education,” closed the day’s festivities.


“Butler Welcomed by Mapleton Civic Body,” The Indianapolis News, 28 June 1924, p. 1:5


Comments


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page